My life today revolves around my family, my work, the service on Sundays and going to malls on weekends. If there’s a word that best describes my day to day life, it’s routine. There’s nothing wrong with that, I believe. There’s nothing wrong with waking up ahead of the shrill sound of the alarm clock on mornings, no matter how sleep-deprived I was the night before. There’s nothing wrong in going to a bookstore or mall after attending church on Sundays. My body clock is so in sync with what I do that I sometimes feel I am a robot programmed to perform tasks!
I’ve always wanted to do things that I haven’t done before or go to places I haven’t been to, or indulge in something I haven’t eaten or maybe just try something new.
So now, I decided that I will make a monthly to-do list. I may not be able to do all of them in a month but those which I cannot fulfill will carry over to the next month. This list will let me keep track of my achievements and my backlogs of the things I’ve always wanted to do. I want my life to be more than the usual! Who would have thought that a tourism slogan would be significant in my life, huh?
Anyway, here are my things to do for the month of September:
1. Read a new book and finish it. (Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert?)
2. Go to a place I’ve been to but haven’t visited in a year or two just to check what’s new.
3. Eat ice cream from Haagen-Dazs! (I hope to have this on my succeeding lists but for financial reason, I doubt it! *wink! )
4. Accompany my kids in their field trip and enjoy it. (And forget about the work in the office for a day.)
5. Run at least three kilometers on the three remaining Saturdays of this month.
This is just an initial list. As I jump from one month to another, I hope to do more adventurous things or go to farther places. There’s no harm in dreaming, right?
PS: For a start, I was able to read this book the first week of September. It's a good read. Ricky Lee is good. I've never read a Filipino novel or short story before so this is a first for me. :)