Friday, July 29, 2011

A Forest in the City

I love parks! I like strolling along tree-lined pathways, bringing homemade snacks, and just letting my kids run and play while I read a good book. It helps me relax after a busy work week. But because of the weather, we cannot do that these days.

I just wish it was still summer. It was in April when me and my kids went to La Mesa Ecopark in Quezon City. I heard so much about it and our stroll there was my first time. The entrance fee is P40 for Quezon City residents and P50 for those who are not.

You will be greeted by these wooden signages. I am surprised that the Butterfly Farm signage is not there anymore. I found out later that La Mesa Ecopark management closed it.
We went there on a weekend so expectedly, there were many visitors.
Going up and down the stairs of Shell Flower Terraces helped me flex some muscles!
La Mesa Ecopark is a haven for photography enthusiasts, especially those interested in flower macro. I lost count of how many kinds of flowers there were!
With these beautiful flowers and lots of trees, La Mesa Ecopark is indeed a forest in the city. :)
That was Gabby and Sunday's first time to ride a horse! And they weren't afraid!
I was the one who was nervous for them!  Fee: P50.00
There were other park facilities which we weren't able to try and visit like the Petron Fitness and Mountain Bike Trail. Also, boating at the Lagoon was stopped, said the vendors when I asked them where the boats were. So better call La Mesa Ecopark's office first for inquiries on ride availability and fees. If you're planning to go there, I suggest you visit the park as early as you can. If it's your first time, you won't enjoy the park and its facilities enough if you visit after lunch.
I wish there were more play areas there. The playgrounds of Quezon Memorial Circle were more in number and better in quality.
At first I was hesitant on letting them lie on the picnic ground. But seeing that there were wash areas and remembering that I brought hand sanitizer and extra clothes, I let them enjoy nature!
La Mesa Ecopark is a joint project of ABS-CBN Bantay Kalikasan, MWSS, the Quezon City Government, and ABS-CBN Foundation. Seeing this collected plastic wastes, I cannot help but admire ABS-CBN's ecological advocacy.
As said in its website, just by visiting the La Mesa Ecopark, you are already actively participating in saving the La Mesa Watershed. Go and visit it now! :)

5 comments:

Tita Beng said...

I miss La Mesa Ecopark. Didn't you bring the kids on their swimming pool? We were there on a weekend to and I promised not to go back again on a weekend to avoid the big crowd.

Have a relaxing rainy day Beth!

Chatty said...

wow! nice photos! I've been wanting to visit La Mesa Ecopark for the longest time, but can't find the time to do it. Now, rainy season na, so maybe I would have to wait again until all these rain and storms stop. Thanks for sharing! :)

Chubskulit Rose said...

Oh wow, that is one lovely place to explore to. Kitang kita enjoyment sa mukha ng angels mo Beth.

David said...

I was looking at your picture with the bottles and cans. Where I live, we have a bottle deposit that is tacked on at the point of sale. About P4.30 per bottle/can. The return rate for redemption and recycling is 97%. Perhaps something worth considering for adoption?

riablahgs said...

Great pics sis! I haven't been in La Mesa Ecopark and what a shame. Our condo unit is just a stone's throw away.

How's life? I wrote you back in FB :)

Hugs,
Ria C

It's My Party
Home is Where the Heart Is
Red Lips and Pinky Toes
Handmade with LOVE